Thursday 2 August 2012

THOR (2011)

Two Worlds.One Hero.


GENRE
Action/Adventure/Fantasy


STORYLINE
The powerful but arrogant warrior Thor is cast out of the fantastic realm of Asgard and sent to live amongst humans on Earth, where he soon becomes one of their finest defenders.


CAST
Chris Hemsworth
Tom Hiddleton
Natalie Portman
Anthony Hopkins




MY REVIEW
With Superheros like Batman, Spiderman , Superman or even Ironman around, it is difficult for a Superhero like Thor to get attention.   Maybe his inclusion in The Avengers was the reason for the film to be made, but still I am glad it was made.   Thor is one of the better superhero movie ever made.






I am not a comic book fan. I have never read any comics.   The only knowledge I have of superheros is from movies or the cartoons I saw as a child.   Honestly, I had never heard of Thor before so I wasn't excited for this movie.  I had no expectations from this film and believe me I was so wrong.




(From L to R) Thor, Odin and Loki




Thor played by Chris Hemsworth plays the mighty Thor:The God of Thunder.  He is the heir to his father Odin, the king of Asgard.  Thor with his mighty hammer is the most powerful in Asgard but it is his arrogance and Loki's (Thor's brother) cunningness that leads to his banishment from Asgard.   Forced to take shelter on Earth, he meets the intelligent scientist Jane Foster.   After learning of Loki's evil plans concerning Asgard and the Frost Giants, he is now determined to save his empire.




As for the story, it is really good.  It is a sort of Mythology/ Sci-fi movie.  The war between Asgard and Frost giants looks good.   The scenes on Asgard are breath taking.   The various small elements like the Gatekeeper, Hawkeye's cameo or even Stan Lee's cameo help to lift the film.  Some scenes are really well written like the scene involving his crash on Earth and the Hammer scene.   The scene helps in combining so many stories together.




Loki: The real star for me




I must say this cast has been really well chosen.   Chris Hemswoth with his mighty appearance and heavy voice is suited to play the God of Thunder.   This is a really good debut.   From playing the arrogant warrior to playing the family loving man, he is so convincing.   He is really good with emotions.   But still Loki played by Tom Hiddleton is the star for me. The way he talks, the way he walks it is so evil.   He plays the cunning Loki with ease. At times I was rooting for just to see him more in the movie.   One of the better villains in any of the superhero movies.   Natalie Portman as Jane Foster is the female lead of the movie. Her main job is to support Chris's character in the film while he stays on Earth.  She has done a good for herself in the movie.  Bringing in Anthony Hopkin's experience in the film as Odin was also a good choice.






Personally I saw this movie as I wanted to see Avengers after seeing all the Heroes personal movies.   I must say this movie is way better than Captain America or even Iron Man 2. Do watch it.


MY RATING 8/10


TRAILER


No comments:

Post a Comment